Here is some information on the placement and typical progression of dancers in the programs at Alderwood Dance Spectrum. We would welcome the opportunity to help plan your dancer’s training and education. You can contact us with any questions about appropriate classes.
How to Find the Right Class
Children ages 3-8 are placed according to age in combination classes where they learn the basics in tap, ballet, baton, and tumbling. These lessons form the foundation for young students to discover their dance passion and the background to build upon as they reach higher levels. The usual progression is:
- Preschool I – age 2.5 and 3 (potty-trained)
- Preschool II – age 4 by September 1st
- Preschool 5 – Kindergarten
- Dance Arts I – 1st & 2nd grade
- Dance Arts II – completed Dance Arts I or older beginner
- Ballet I/Tap I/Jazz I/Hip Hop I/Acrobatics – age 8 and older (3rd grade and above)
Age 8 and older: placement depends on previous dance experience and skill level. Students are grouped by proficiency instead of by age. From this point on, dancers do not automatically move up to the next level; most dancers remain in the same level class for several years. The teachers will determine when a student has achieved the level of technical proficiency to advance.
Beginning dancers, ages 8-11 (depending on dancer’s area of interest):
- Ballet I/Jazz I/Tap I (half hour classes in combination of 2 or 3)
- Hip Hop
Dancers ages 12 and up are eligible for hour long classes in each subject and a wider variety of genres are open to them:
Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Hip Hop, Acrobatics, Lyrical
We are committed to providing high quality, comprehensive dance instruction to students of all ages and levels. Whether a dancer aspires to a professional career, being a dance team member, or is just taking classes for fun or fitness, each student is important to us. Dancers are placed in appropriate classes where they can learn, grow, and feel comfortable as they develop control, good body alignment, strength, flexibility, coordination, and style. These basic elements will help them succeed in any dance form they choose to pursue while ensuring that dance remains fun as well as challenging and rewarding.
- There is a $30 registration fee per year for the first student in the family. Each additional family member is $20. There is no registration fee for Summer Session.
- Tuition will be automatically deducted from your checking account (please provide routing and account numbers) or charged to your credit card on the 1st of the month. If you wish to pay by credit card, there is an additional $3 or 3% per month handling charge for credit card transactions.
- Class fees are based on a 37-week term for the September – June session. Tuition is divided into equal installments based on a four-week month. Months with five weeks will be charged the same payment to offset the months with less than 4 weeks.
- Students entering late will pay full fee.
- Missed lessons may be made up based on available class space.
- Private and semi-private lessons are available.
- Trial classes are available and the fee may be applied to your enrollment.
- No refunds will be given.
When to Register
Our dance season follows the academic year, September to mid-June, culminating in our annual June Recital. Because our classes have a sequential curriculum and build from week to week, we only enroll students in September, in January, or for our 6-week Summer Session. (Sometimes students can enter later and catch up by taking make-up lessons.) In the fall, students begin learning dances for the December Holiday Show and in January, costumes are ordered for our June Recital.
There are some exceptions: classes that are working on technique only and not choreography for a performance, may accept new students at other times. Check with us.
Fairy Tale Princesses classes are offered seasonally. Usually offered as series of six different princesses, sometimes classes may be taken individually if space is available.
Join Our Dance Family
View our class schedule to register for classes online or fill out the form below for a personalized class recommendation.